Sunday, October 17, 2010

It's 12:00 P.M. Do You Know Where Your Modalities Are?

It's almost midnight, the noise of screaming drunken bar patrons rises over the Village.  The heat has yet to come on and it is cold. But I must keep repeating to myself as I ponder Godel and Leibniz and Descartes, that possibility is not the property of any object or thing, it is a property of the world. Henceforth I must banish the phrase "x is possible" from my reasoning and replace it with "the world permits x." Ah but does that mean "x is impossible" should be replaced by "the world forbids x"?  What of other possible worlds? Well, for now, in the company of the noise of drunken bar patrons and autumn cold, I will stick with possibility, leaving impossibility for those who have contact with all other possible worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment