Friday, November 5, 2010

A Fermata Meets Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Michael Campbell and Jesse Smith of A Fermata whom I hardly ever get to hear anymore, but to whose myspace I will repair when seeking solace, will be joining Patti Smith at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. According to the Wall Street Journal they have written musical accompaniment to Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem "Kubla Khan", and are apparently preparing other stuff around the Met's "The World of Khubilai Khan: Chinese Art in the Yuan Dynasty.   If you go listen to A Fermata and then read the poem I think you gotta realize that these were made for each other. I personally think Coleridge wouldn't have needed the opium, but could have written the poem after going to an A Fermata show. Unfortunately he doesn't get that kind of a do over what with the this time's arrow thingy we seem to have going in the world. We do however get to see what the hearing of the poem has produced in these great 20/21st century artists. So despite the chronological asymmetry I  am actually spending severe money to sit in the penultimate row, decreeing my own stately pleasure-dome for the evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment